AN EVANGELIST OF INTER-RELIGIOUS HARMONY
Fr. Roby Kannanchira CMI is the Director of Chavara Cultural Centre. Born in 1969, he is one among the renowned twin priests in Kerala. In 1998, the twins Fr. Roby Kannanchira CMI and Fr. Roy Kannanchira CMI were ordained as Catholic Priests. Fr. Roy is the Area Director of the Special Olympic Bharat (SOB) and also adorns the role of President - Deepika Children’s League (DCL), the largest children’s league in Asia.
Fr. Roby has always been involved with the needs of communities, taking a keen interest in issues faced by the young and young-at-heart. He has led several socio-cultural initiatives for the benefit of the society.
2. Campaigned against smoking in public places; was part of the legal proceedings initiated to ban smoking in public places.
3. Spearheaded the movement “SAY NO TO HARTAL”
4. Initiated “CHAVARA FEST”- a unique 5-7 days cultural fiesta for immortalizing traditional art forms set in a rustic ambiance, bringing together families to savour traditional tastes and enjoy ethnic art forms.
5. Keenly involved in rehabilitating the marginalized; championing the cause of “Children living with HIV”.
6. Focused upon empowering visually-challenged individuals, imparting knowledge, life skills, employability skill as well as employment. Joined hands with Vodafone to set up a Call Centre, providing employment to 25 visually challenged individuals.
7. Highly focused on community development; currently dons the role of President of Karikkamuri Residents Association, Kochi in Kerala - a leading residential association in the locality.
8. Led the movement for abolishing liquor shops that operated in a thickly populated locality, causing hardship to the society.
9. As a highly motivated trainer, he held workshops in Qatar and the United Kingdom to impart value-based
training 10. As an evangelist of inter-religious harmony, he accepts, respects and celebrates all faiths, upholding each one’s Religion and Belief
11. As a very keen environmentalist, he formed the society “Clarion” in 2006 with the objective of coordinating different organizations for the conservation of Mother Nature.
Fr. Roby has close associations with International as well as Non-Governmental organizations operating in accordance with humanitarian lines.
Maintaining close associations with the French Embassy Annex Alliance Francaise and Campus Abroad France, both organizations operate from the Chavara Cultural Centre premises at Kochi.
Free Legal Aid Centre for the benefit of the needy
An international forum for alcohol de-addiction.
A unique platform to help senior citizens build meaning relationships, benefit from medical support, facilitate group organic farming among the local community
A cultural collective
A foundation to spread awareness in schools and communities against drug abuse
IION - International Inter-faith Organizational Network In 2007, Fr. Roby presented papers by IION at Oxford, United Kingdom.
DICD - INTER FAITH DIALOGUE
Moderated Sessions and Presented papers at the Doha International Centre in 2008, 2009 and 2010
GRAZ UNIVERSITY, AUSTRIA | HORSHAM | BIRMINGHAM
Presented at the Graz University, Austria (2011) as well as at other prestigious conferences conducted at Horsham (2013) and Birmingham (2014)