Listed below are the major reformative initiatives undertaken by St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara in the 19th century. The legacy continues at Chavara Cultural Centre!
1. St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara introduced the “Pallikoodam” movement, providing free education for all at schools attached to every parish churches in Kerala. The legacy still continues with over 1200 educational institutions imparting knowledge to over 4 Lakh students the world over. In this regard, CMI institutions stand tall in the field of education.
2. Encouraged children from backward sections of the community to study along with children from upper class families
3. Launched an innovative educational process for theological education
4. Started the publication of prayer books and Christian literature with a wooden printing press, designed on plantain marrow
5. Promoted in-depth study of Sanskrit, Sacred Texts and Religious Traditions.
6. Improved employability of women through Vocational and Technical training.
7. Extended vocational training for persons with physical and mental disabilities.
2. Promoted Kudumbashree and other self-help groups at Chavara Cultural Centre.
3. Encouraged entrepreneurial activities and leadership training for women.
4. Presided over to Resident Association meetings for promoting family welfare.
5. Played a pivotal role in preventing child marriage and dowry system.
6. Promoted flourishing of culture, dance, art and literary among the children.